Women in ministry can feel isolated, unsure where to turn to share their burdens, joys and questions around calling.
Spiritual Direction Groups provide a safe space to share and to invite others to listen to God on our behalf, offering encouragement and Spirit-led discernment for our journeys of faith and calling.
As a Christian Spiritual Director and a pastor’s wife, I have experienced the gifts of this kind of transforming community, both as a facilitator and a recipient. The connection, healing, and encouragement that have flowed from these groups has been transformative. It’s now my desire to provide the same kinds of community to others by facilitating two pilot Spiritual Direction Groups (via Zoom) for women in ministry in the coming months.
Interested in learning more? Read on…
These cohorts are open to:
- women who serve on a church staff in some capacity
- women whose spouse serves on a church staff
(If you are unsure whether you fit these criteria, feel free to contact me via email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
What is a Spiritual Direction Group?
Simply put, group spiritual direction creates a space to pay attention to the work God is doing in our lives with other people who are doing the same. We accomplish this by:
- making dedicated time for each participant to share with the group from their current faith journey. It might be an experience, a question or a matter for discernment.
- embracing silence as a part of the group’s response, as we seek to listen to God on behalf of the presenter
- offering our prayerful responses to the one sharing
Members who participate agree to:
- commit yourself to an honest relationship with God
- participate wholeheartedly in the group through prayerful listening and response
- open their spiritual journey for consideration by others.
This commitment might be a good fit if you:
- have been looking for a safe space to share your spiritual journey, particularly related to serving in ministry
- want to grow deeper in your ability to listen to the Holy Spirit’s still, small voice
- feel as though you are in a “dry place” and need encouragement
- are in a place of transition or are feeling disoriented and would value others coming alongside you to help you practice discernment about God’s direction for you
- you simply feel the Spirit nudging you to learn more about this type of listening in community
Groups will run bi-weekly for three months. Space is limited to only 6 participants per group.
Costs: $50/month or $130 paid in full
Monday evenings from 7-8:30 pm EST
2/6, 2/20, 3/6, 3/20, 4/3, 4/17, 5/1, 5/15
Wednesday afternoons from 1-2:30 pm EST
2/8, 2/22, 3/8, 3/22, 4/5, 4/19, 5/3, 5/17
If you are able to commit to at least 7 out of 8 of the time slots for one of these cohorts (including a definite commitment to the introductory meeting), please fill out the interest form below by Friday, January 27th. I will contact you no later than Wednesday, February 1st to let you know if there is availability for you in one of these groups.
If neither of these time slots work for you, you are welcome to fill out the interest form anyway and indicate what time(s) would better fit your schedule. If there is enough interest, I will consider opening another group.
Please note: Filling out this interest form does not equal a commitment, but if you are unsure whether you will be able to follow through, please indicate that in the form.
These pilot groups will also serve as an opportunity to discern how best to provide these types of spaces for women in ministry in the future. Thank you for your consideration in being a part!